below is what they used to look like. all oak.
with a 70's vibe flooring by the front door. (well, this house was built in the 70's!)
this job was tedious, because you had to do everything in stages. and every stage needed time afterward to dry.
first was sanding everything. i had to make sure the varnish was off, so the primer would stay.
painting the risers and trim, i did four separate coats. two primer, two paint.
i started with the lower half of the stairs, that heads to the garage and laundry.
*chewy wondering what i'm doing :)
we had to strip the old varnish off the treads too, and some of the old color.
(since we were going with a darker stain, we didn't think it would matter if we didn't completely strip all the color off them.)
here is a closer look at the treads after stripping them...
hubby did all the staining. we used a gel stain to get good coverage. we actually had to mix two together to get the exact look of the wood flooring in the kitchen. since the kitchen, stairs and foyer all run together, we wanted it to look consistent.
here are the bottom stairs completely finished...
we had a whole set of different problems with the top half. the stairs had to be rebuilt.
new risers, and treads. plus the banister.
i lost my before pics of the top stairs.
******duh****** i don't know what happened to them. can't find anywhere..
here is what they looked like after they got rebuilt by my uncle Dorman, who just happens to be a finished carpenter!
my uncle actually put them in while we were in florida. so we came home to new stairs!
that's Abe carrying in luggage from the trip. (always smiling, that one.)
we lived without a banister for a couple months because the hand rail was being stained and varnished. every step just took time.
we did the same with these stairs as the bottom ones. taping off, two coats primer, two coats paint for the risers and trim, and stain,and varnish for the treads.
when we stained/varnished the treads, hubby would work his way down the steps. then he'd run around the outside of the house, and come in the back door. that way they could dry all night without being walked on.
the flooring by the front door is engineered wood. by time we wanted to order flooring for this area, they had discontinued what we used in the kitchen. literally don't make that color anymore. so! we had to find something close in color.
the left is the kitchen, and the right is down on the landing.
i think we did good.
my rugs are from target..
we will be adding a built in wall coat rack in this corner behind the door next. we used to have a coat stand, but i want the floor space to be as open as possible. so i drew up a plan for it, and already got the wood!
this is the finished lower entryway from the garage...
i have many more projects coming up this summer. i'm building my coat rack next. but after that, is the main bath remodel. then the master bedroom face lift.
i hope you enjoy seeing our makeovers, and thanks for stopping by!
the art below is from pat catans.